Floor insulation boards are an insulation material designed specifically to be applied to the application of floors within residential and commercial buildings. The boards are generally made up of a polyisocyanurate (PIR) core with foil or glass tissue facings bonded to each side.
Floor Insulation Board
What are the benefits of floor insulation boards?
- Floor insulation boards improve the thermal quality of the property. This means a more temperature-controlled environment with cooler summers and warmer winters. Thermal quality means fewer drafts, less heat escaping the property and a more comfortable living and working space.
- Preventing heat and energy escaping through the roof you will save money on your energy bills as less energy will be needed to heat your property.
- With less heat escaping, it will have a positive effect on the global warming and climate change, making your property more energy-efficient and sustainable.
- When installed correctly, roof insulation will have a lifespan for as long as the building itself.
- Floor insulation materials are usually lightweight and easy to cut, handle, and install.
- Floor Insulation Boards hold a high compression strength making them the ideal product to hold weight such as furniture and being walked on etc..
- Floor insulation will have a lifespan matching the building when installed correctly.
Solid floors can be insulated by laying the insulation on top. A damp-proof membrane is recommended to be placed in between the solid floor and insulation board to prevent moisture. Other materials can then be layered on top of the insulation to help with noise such as an acoustic barrier matt followed by underlay.
Concrete floors can be insulated by infilling sand over the surface and then laying a damp proof membrane on top of the sand, then lay the insulation boards and then the concrete. Then apply the underlay and chosen flooring.
Floor insulation boards can be cut by measuring the boards and marking a size guide. A fine-toothed saw can then be used, or the boards can be scored with a sharp knife, snapped over a hard edge, and scored on the other side.
Ensure a building professional is consulted before installing floor insulation. This is to ensure the insulation materials being used are the correct product for the building, this will avoid damage being caused. Always ensure the product meets the relevant national building regulations
If there is existing dampness or rot within the floor this should be cleared by a building professional before the insulation is installed. Insulating damp or rotten areas can cause further damage.
Floor Insulation boards are high-quality boards made up of a rigid polyisocyanurate (PIR) or phenolic core that has a layer of low emissivity foil or glass tissue bonded to each side. It is lightweight and easy to cut, handle, and install yet holds a high compression strength. The boards come in a variety and thicknesses and offer thermal conductivities ranging between 0.018W/mK and 0.022W/mK. Floor Insulation Boards are available from brands Recticel, Kingspan, Mannok, and more.